Tuy Loan Communal House
Located in Tuy Loan Hamlet, Hoa Phong Commune, Hoa Vang District, this communal house was built in the first year of King Thanh Thai’s reign (1889). Like Nai Nam and Bo Ban, Tuy Loan Communal House is used to worship the gods, and past sages of the village.
In the past, people held a ceremony at this communal house to welcome spring on the 14th and 15th of the second lunar month, and autumn on the 14th and 15th of the eighth lunar month.
At present, Tuy Loan Communal House is the only one which still preserves 15 royal decrees, dating from King Minh Mang’s reign to the reign of King Bao Dai.
The house covers an area of 110 square metres with brick walls and a pantile roof. It is decorated with two dragons flanking a moon, and flying dragons, all encrusted with shards of pottery. The interior has three sections and there are two lean-tos, the rear one of which is 2.4 metres wide and 2.7 metres long. It has four rows of pillars made of jackfruit wood, each of which has six pillars from 2.5 to 4.5 metres high.
The pillars against the walls are carved with stylised floral designs, and their bases are decorated with pumpkin shapes. At each of the two sides, the roof beams are decorated with a dragon’s head, and the tie beams have floating clouds, daisies and peonies reflecting their artistic value.
In the resistance war against the French, Tuy Loan Communal House was the place where local people, and those in the neighbouring villages of Bo Ban and Cam Toai, held a demonstration and usurped the power of Hoa Vang District in August 1945.
In the anti-American war (1957-1975), the puppet government of Ngo Dinh Diem used this communal house as a place for interrogating and executing communists. It was also the place where local people rose up to oppose the Americans and the Diem government.
Tuy Loan Communal House was recognised as a historical and cultural relic by the Ministry of Culture and Communication on 4 January 1999.