Tran Quoc Pagoda

15/04/2016 08:58

                                                                       

Address: Thanh Nien, Hanoi

Open hours: 08:30 – 17:30

Ticket:  Free

 

Tran Quoc is one of the oldest temples in Vietnam, located near the West Lake, at the end of Thanh Nien road. It was originally constructed in the sixth century during the reign of Emperor Ly Nam De (from 544 until 548), thus giving it an age of more than 1,450 years. When founded the temple was named Khai Quoc (National Founding) and was sited on the shores of the Red River, outside of the Yen Phu Dyke. When confronted with the river's encroachment, the temple was relocated in 1615 to Kim Ngu (Golden Fish) islet of the West Lake where it is now situated. A small causeway links it to the mainland. The last major repair to the temple was undertaken in 1815 when the main sanctuary, reception hall and posterior hall of the dead were renovated.