Ong Ich Khiem’s Tomb
Ong Ich Khiem’s Tomb is located in the cemetery of Hoa Tho Commune, Hoa Vang District, about 10 kilometres to the southwest of the city centre.
Ong Ich Khiem, with his courtesy name of Muc Chi, was born on 21 December of Mau Ty year (1829) in Phong Le Village, Thanh Quyt Ward, Dien Ban District, Quang Nam Province.
He passed his bachelor’s exam in the 7th year of King Thieu Tri’s reign (1847), and became a mandarin in the court of King Tu Duc. He was famous for his intelligence and truthfulness. Being a talented and strategic general, he was instrumental in commanding troops to protect Da Nang when French colonists began to attack and invade Viet Nam on 1 September 1858. Under Nguyen Tri Phuong’s management, he consolidated many outposts such as those at Nhat on the Hai Van Pass, Lien Tri, and Phong Le, and built entrenchments from Hai Chau to Phuoc Ninh.
He died on 19 July 1884 in Binh Thuan Province. His son, Ong Ich Thien, took his father’s body to his home village of Phong Le and buried him there. Ong Ich Khiem’s Tomb was moved to its present location in the 13th year of King Bao Dai’s reign (1938).
The tomb was built in an octagonal shape. It is 13.8 metres long by 6.1 metres wide and is surrounded by 0.72 metre high walls. The grave itself is 4.75 metres long, 3.5 metres wide, and 0.35 of a metre high. The 0.83 metre high and 0.54 metre wide granite stele is decorated with dragon, phoenix and floral designs. The stele is inscribed with the following words: “Hoang Trieu – Hien to Binh bo ta thi lang, tan phong Kien trung Nam linh mo. Bao Dai thap tam nien, tu nguyet, kiet nhat”.
Ong Ich Khiem’s Tomb was recognised as a national historical relic by the Ministry of Culture and Communication on 12 July 2001.