Dien Hai Citadel
Dien Hai Citadel, built on the western side of the Han River in the twelfth year of King Gia Long’s reign (1813), was formerly known as Dien Hai Fortress. It was moved inland and rebuilt in brick on a high mount in the fourth year of King Minh Mang’s reign (1823). It was renamed as Dien Hai Citadel in the fifteenth year of his reign (1834).
Dien Hai Citadel under the attack of the French troops on 1 September 1858
Today, Dien Hai Citadel is at No 24 Tran Phu Street, Thach Thang Ward, Hai Chau District, which is adjacent to the Da Nang Nuseum.
In the seventh year of King Thieu Tri’s reign (1847), the perimeter of Dien Hai Citadel was expanded to 463 metres, with a wall 5 metres high surrounded by a ditch 3 metres deep. The citadel was designed with three gates, and was built of brick in the European Vauban architectural style.
Dien Hai Citadel bore the stamp of the struggle by the Da Nang people and the nation to protect national independence and territory in the persistent war against the French colonialists. It made an important contribution to the defeat of the French invaders in Da Nang in 1858-1860. A statue of General Nguyen Tri Phuong was erected in memory of a magnanimous period in the city’s history.
Dien Hai Citadel was recognised as a national historical relic by the Ministry of Culture and Communication on 16 November 1998.