Bo Ban Communal House
Located in Bo Ban Hamlet, Hoa Phong Commune, Hoa Vang District, this village communal house was built with bamboo on Tam Vi hillock in the early 19th century. It was moved to the centre of the village and rebuilt using brick and pantiles in 1852.
It is 14.5 metres long and 9.7 metres wide, with three sections and two lean-tos. There are 36 pillars made of jackfruit wood and ‘kien kien (Hopea pierrei Hance)’ wood. Its structure includes pillar tops carved with a dragon’s head and beams carved with apricot, bamboo, pine and orchid shapes. There are also animal and bird shapes, such as sparrows and monkeys, and ornamental floral patterns.
Bo Ban Communal House was set up for worshipping the village gods and bygone sages, and for annual festivals.
In August 1945, before the general uprising (the August Revolution), the local people gathered at the house for a demonstration and forced the court mandarin and village’s officials to hand over the seals, documents and record books. Bo Ban held the first local poll of the national congress election of the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam. In the anti-American resistance war, the house was a place where local people gathered to make decisions about wiping out the enemy, destroying detention centres, and confiscating the weapons and storehouses in Hoa Vang District.
The house was recognised as a historical and cultural relic by the Ministry of Culture and Communication on 4 January 1999.